[guardian-dev] chatsecure 13.0.6 feedback / old HW

shmick at riseup.net shmick at riseup.net
Sat Dec 28 10:33:26 EST 2013

hey there,

a little tired of scouring xmpp.net for public jabber servers that 1)
enforced their own cipher prefs and 2) didn't support RC4_MD5 i decided
to finally update from the latest stable gibberbot

my HW
old phone on 4.2.2

chatting with person on old HW too on 2.3.7

1.
we straight out upgraded from the latest stable gibberbot
both rebooted
first problem; its a biggie unfortunately - we both can't see text in
any message chats ...

we can send text ok, we can hear that fucking bril new ringtone (!) but
alas no text in chat windows

the *only* way a msg is known to be received is in the non-avatar
display option, contact tab

ie. my online contact username and below that where their status
appears, the status is replaced by the message

no msgs appear in any chat windows alternating from light to dark themes

only thing i can think of for me is i have manually reduced the global
font display size of my phone - would that make a difference ?

2.
on my phone ive had an ongoing issue for ages (gibberbot and now chatsecure)
there's been a chat window that just refuses to close

i remember on gibberbot i could long press to select chats to close, and
it never selected this 'frozen' 'dead' one

its still there in chatsecure now and 'end chat' never removes it

i could re-install but i want to keep my xmpp usernames to which i have
unknown random pwds ...

3.
no way to export account settings/plans to implement it ?

4.
the voice plugin is amazing, really cool
it works fine and that tape deck is dope
infact i can make use of all 4 attachment options too

where do these files go for sender/reciever and do they touch SD or
internal phone ?

5.
on 2.3.7 phone light/dark theme had problems - could not see attachment
button at all
temp recourse was to select pure black background which worked and
selecting dark theme as well

6.
just to double check with all chatsecure from now on, we are both
protected against flawed pre 4.3 Android RNG and improved cipher
strength client ordering ?

7.
what's the diff btw this gibberbot-chatsecure and the
chatsecure-chatsecure which uses the sql pwd protected db ?

thanks again; really great app, but atm we have to use it as a
walkie-talkie ;-)