[guardian-dev] first beta release of IOCipher virtual encrypted disks for Android!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Feb 7 14:41:16 EST 2013

https://guardianproject.info/code/iocipher/

At long last, we are proud to announce the first beta release of IOCipher, an
easy framework for providing virtual encrypted disks for Android apps.

* does not require root or any special permissions at all

* the API is a drop-in replacement for the standard java.io.File API, so if
  you have ever worked with files in Java, you already know how to use
  IOCipher

* works easiest in an app that stores all files in IOCipher, but using
  standard java.io with IOCipher is possible

* supports android-7 v2.1 and above

* licensed under the LGPL v3+

Adding IOCipher to our InformaCam and NoteCipher apps is already in the
works. There is already one app in the Play Store built with IOCipher:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Gryphn.mms&hl=en

We've recently done some heavy testing and bug fixing and this is ready for
beta status.  That means for many applications, it should be stable with
reasonable performance.  But its not done yet, and there are some known edge
cases documented in our bug tracker which we aim to address in the next beta
release:

https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/iocipher/issues

Some additional notes on usage:

* single thread/sequential access is the preferred way of using IOCipher

* multi-threaded access possible, but potentially unstable under very high load

* VFS now has beginTransaction and completeTransaction to optimize performance

* parts of java.io not currently supported: vectored I/O, memory-mapped files