[guardian-dev] Lil' Debi now it the Play Store, F-Droid, and direct download

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Feb 7 15:46:32 EST 2013

https://guardianproject.info/code/lildebi/

Finally, we have Lil' Debi in the Play Store, so I thought I'd announce that:

Have an Android phone and want an easy Debian chroot running it that you can
trust? Install Lil’ Debi. It builds up a whole Debian chroot on your phone
entirely using debootstrap. You choose the release, mirror, and size of the
disk image, and away it goes. It could take up to an hour or more, then its
done. The entire package is built from source using publicly available,
repeatable builds. It even includes gpgv and the Debian repository keys in the
apk and verifies the packages it downloads in the first stage of debootstrap
before installing them.

Then it has a simple chroot manager that mounts and unmounts things, and
starts/stops sshd if you have it installed. You can also then use ‘apt-get’ to
install any package that is released for ARM processors. This includes things
like a complete real shell, Tor, TraceRouteTCP, iwconfig/ipconfig, and other
security and crypto tools.

The aim of Lil’ Debi is to provide a transparent and tightly integrated Debian
install on your Android device. It mounts all of your Android partitions in
Debian space, so you see a fusion of both systems. Its even possible to have
Lil’ Debi launch the normal Debian init start-up scripts when it starts, so
that all you need to do is apt-get install and any servers you install will
just work.

Downloading

* Google Play Store (free)
  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.guardianproject.lildebi

* F-Droid

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=lildebi&fdid=info.guardianproject.lildebi

* direct download:
  MD5: cb805d28fe718cd891cb66cabe8ce468
  SHA1: ca8595c6cc41b2e0349922d3c95129f135a091df
  https://guardianproject.info/releases/LilDebi-release-0.3.apk
  https://guardianproject.info/releases/LilDebi-release-0.3.apk,asc

* full source (except gpgv): https://github.com/guardianproject/lildebi
* gpgv is built as part of https://github.com/guardianproject/gnupg-for-android