[guardian-dev] python-potr: another PSST-related lib accepted into Debian

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Feb 18 14:05:44 EST 2013

On 02/18/2013 01:56 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner:
>>
>> My python-potr Debian package has just been accepted into the official Debian
>> repositories.  That means it'll also be included in Ubuntu, Mint, etc.
>> python-potr is a pure python implementation of OTR.  We use it in
>> otrfilecoverter to handle OTR keys.  It is also used by the gajim IM app to
>> provide OTR chat.  I recommend gajim for anyone who wants a very friendly
>> GNOME XMPP app that supports OTR.  Its got a much nicer interface than pidgin,
>> and also supports PGP.  Unfortunately, it only supports XMPP.
>>
>> Next up on this front: packaging the gajim-otr plugin itself so that there is
>> a trusted method for installing gajim.  I've already been talking with gajim
>> packagers and developers, so this should pretty easy to do.
>>
>> http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-potr.html
>>

> Are there test vectors that ensure that the python potr module actually
> does what libotr does with the same inputs?
>
> All the best,
> Jacob

There are some:
https://github.com/afflux/pure-python-otr/tree/master/tests

If you have any recommendations for others, the developer is responsive, and I
might also be able to find some time to write up some up.  For PSST, we're
currently only using the key handling code, but given our plan to enable
file/key syncing via OTR file transfer, I imagine we'll use the OTR code there
too.