[guardian-dev] OTR4j and OTRv3

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Wed Jan 9 23:39:46 EST 2013

On 01/10/2013 10:18 AM, Chris Ballinger wrote:
> After helping someone write a wrapper for libavcodec using the NDK I think
> it isn't that difficult to do the bridging, but (if i'm not mistaken) there
It isn't so much a question of using the NDK or not, as we are already
fairly committed there with SQLCipher, Tor, GnuPG, etc.

I am more asking is it a healthy thing to have two OTR efforts working
parallel with libotr as the lead, and OTR4J always playing catch-up, or
should we commit to bringing and utilizing libotr to Android? Should all
the crypto-chat clients in the world be based on the same OTR library,
or should we encourage diversity?

As an example, in the case of OpenPGP, we decided not to work on APG in
favor of GnuPG, because we felt we couldn't keep up with GnuPG, and it
would be better to have that community invested in Android.

+n