[guardian-dev] OTR4j and OTRv3

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Thu Jan 10 06:56:38 EST 2013

Nathan of Guardian:
> On 01/10/2013 10:18 AM, Chris Ballinger wrote:
>> After helping someone write a wrapper for libavcodec using the NDK I think
>> it isn't that difficult to do the bridging, but (if i'm not mistaken) there
> It isn't so much a question of using the NDK or not, as we are already
> fairly committed there with SQLCipher, Tor, GnuPG, etc.

Yes. We're quite heavily entrenched in the NDK so that isn't a huge factor.

> I am more asking is it a healthy thing to have two OTR efforts working
> parallel with libotr as the lead, and OTR4J always playing catch-up, or
> should we commit to bringing and utilizing libotr to Android? Should all
> the crypto-chat clients in the world be based on the same OTR library,
> or should we encourage diversity?

There are other clients of OTR4J, jitsi for example who probably won't
switch to native libotr, and we surely want to be interop with them,
which means these features need to land in OTR4J regardless.

> As an example, in the case of OpenPGP, we decided not to work on APG in
> favor of GnuPG, because we felt we couldn't keep up with GnuPG, and it
> would be better to have that community invested in Android.

I think GnuPG is a much larger, complicated, and faster moving target
than libotr.

~abel