[guardian-dev] NoteCipher pull request on guthub

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Jan 17 15:51:14 EST 2013

On 01/17/2013 03:34 PM, Andy Nicholson wrote:
> On 17/01/13 18:51, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> We're just wrapping up the beta release of IOCipher right now. Let us know
>> if you have any questions or encounter issues. .hc
>
> A quick question (and then i will end this thread I promise) - is IOCipher
> intended to replace SQLCipher (for android), or to run in parallel for
> different purposes?
>
> Andy

They are parallel projects for different purposes.  We like to make libraries
that make it as easy as possible for developers to do the right thing, and
SQLCipher-for-Android and IOCipher are two examples of that.
SQLCipher-for-Android gives the developer the same API as the standard Android
database API, so its really easy to switch to it.

IOCipher is its cousin because it gives the developer the same API for file
operations as the ubiquitous java.io.*, but its based on a SQLCipher encrypted
store that does not require root (unlike truecrypt, LUKS, etc.)