[guardian-dev] Fwd: [liberationtech] Heml.is - "The Beautiful & Secure Messenger"

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Jul 11 10:00:19 EDT 2013

Beauty in software is indeed quite important, I agree.  Another part that is often overlooked is the quality of the interaction.  You point that out with the info about people's perception of search results being affected by how quickly they are returned.  Software is essentially about human-computer interaction.  Good software provides interaction that feels natural and effortless, things are were you expect them, actions you want to do are easy when you want to do them, irrelevant things are out of the way, etc.

While beauty is important, I believe that the quality of the interaction is more important than beauty for the vast majority of users.  A bad experience leaves users frustrated, while ugly software leaves users dismissive or maybe annoyed.

And of course, the software has to do useful things, otherwise it doesn't really matter how beautiful or natural it is.  So its always a balance between all the factors.  Then we also have to consider the ratio of how much work it takes to do something versus how much benefit it will bring.  Unfortunately making beautiful and natural interfaces takes a lot of work.  We have limited funding and people to do the world, so we have to prioritize.

.hc