[guardian-dev] The sound of an encrypted audio stream

Frank Rieger frank at ccc.de
Wed Jul 24 20:08:44 EDT 2013

2009: http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~cwright/voip-vbr.pdf
2011: http://www.cs.unc.edu/~amw/resources/hooktonfoniks.pdf

And that is just the published stuff. We have ruled out VR codecs 2003 for CryptoPhone after running some simple tests (word length statistics) already. Basing your threat model for any crypto system on "might help today against a script-kiddie" is irresponsible for obvious reasons. VBR does not give a sufficient advantage in telephony to even go near that risk.

Greetings from Berlin,

Frank

---