[guardian-dev] OTR file transfer

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Mon Jun 3 03:36:43 EDT 2013

Miron Cuperman:
> 10:59 < abeluck> devrandom: just to be clear
> 10:59 < abeluck> we're implementing a data transfer mechanism
> 10:59 < abeluck> within OTR
> 11:00 < abeluck> as opposed to implementing  XEP-0047 for data transfer
> and only using TLV8 for the symm key
> 11:00 < abeluck> correct?
> 11:03 < abeluck> n8fr8 and _hc were wondering
> 11:12 < abeluck> i said the former :
> 11:12 < abeluck> )
>
> (sorry, I'm not on IRC very often these days, will try to be more
> connected in the future.  Ping me on email if I don't respond)
>
> For now, my plan is to implement data transfer within OTR.  The
> advantages include not depending on XMPP and being easier to implement.
>
> We can look at XEP-0047 in a future phase.
>
> Does this sound fine, or are there strong reasons to do XEP-0047?

(adding guardian-dev)

The argument for doing XEP-0047 now is this is how Cryptocat implemented
their file transfer, so we could be exchanging files with them faster.

Also, other apps support XEP-0047 (Gajim and pidgin off the top of my
head), so we could do non-encrypted file transfer with them.

However: I think a transport layer agnostic  (aka pure OTR) version is
incredibly useful+important. And since doing pure OTR will be faster to
implement, I'm for that way first.

~abel