[guardian-dev] OTR file transfer

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Jun 3 11:04:15 EDT 2013

Hello,

* Abel Luck <abel at guardianproject.info> [2013-06-03 09:37]:
> However: I think a transport layer agnostic  (aka pure OTR) version is
> incredibly useful+important. And since doing pure OTR will be faster to
> implement, I'm for that way first.

I (as the maintainer/janitor of yaxim) am very interested in secure file
transfers as well. Doing it the XMPP way seems almost impossible,
because encryption is under-specified in the XEPs.

Could you please elaborate how the data transfer is supposed to work
with OTR? In-band messages like XEP-0047? (that would add some load to
the server and also be rather bandwidth-inefficient, sending base64
blocks)

Or is there still an OOB mechanism that needs to be handshaked upon?
Would that end up as a subset of XEP-0096 (SI File Transfer) or Jingle?

Curiously,

Ge0rG