[guardian-dev] Gibberbot and XMPP resource

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Jun 4 08:17:38 EDT 2013

Ah!  I wondered what magic Google was doing to make GTalk messages
appear on all devices.  I thought it was all-google magic, but I bet
they're using this to a certain degree also.

One of my gripes with OTR is that moving a chat between devices is impossible.

It would be absolutely killer if a long-term goal of OTR/OTR Clients
was adding in the same functionality that Gtalk has in this regard.

If I have an OTR chat with a contact, and switch to another device,
whose resource priority exceeds the current device, I send a OTR Type
W message to the recipient, who then does a multi-party key exchange
between my new device, him, and my old device if it is still
answering, and after it's done, (optionally*)sends the back log of
messages to the new device, and we continue the chat.

* Maybe he only does it if my new key has been marked as verified?

Anyway, sorry to interject, if people want to keep discussing this, I
say we move to another thread and brainstorm.

-tom