[guardian-dev] What WhisperSys wants to see in a Play Store alternative

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Tue Jun 11 06:18:06 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Abel Luck <abel at guardianproject.info> wrote:
> concise list: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5845568
>
> I think this is a solid minimum feature list for any secure app store.

FWIW, outside of the updates, IMHO, none of that has any relevance to
an app store. The fact that *Google* happens to vertically integrate
crash reporting and analytics does not mean that *every* store should
vertically integrate crash reporting and analytics. To draw an
alternate history analogy, just because Ford owns its own rubber
plantations for making tires doesn't mean all car companies should own
their own rubber plantations for making tires.

Besides, I would have expected him to be at least as paranoid as I am,
and to want that sort of data delivered to his own servers, not
somebody else's.

> The importance of updates shouldn't be underestimated imho.

Agreed.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 4.9 Available!