[guardian-dev] ChatSecure for Android v12 alpha 1

Bernard Tyers ei8fdb at ei8fdb.org
Fri Jun 14 18:59:56 EDT 2013

(Reposting as the original got stuck in moderation due to large attachment.)

Dang Nathan, I wished I read all of your email instead of rushing off to upgrade.

I'd have seen the line about it deleting all my user account details.

When I started the install process I saw the screen in the link below and thought
all was well. [1]

But then Chatsecure told me "no accounts"!

Quick fix: either a) save used accounts and that screen makes sense or
b) remove that screen and replace it with "WARNING! This update deletes all accounts" so the user can at least be ready for the work he/she has to do.

I'll be busy looking at it tomorrow.

Also, this has some interesting implications for my PETS thesis project..fun times!

One other thing: why am I required to use a number in my passphrase?

There is no prompt for the user to know this, only AFTER I've entered my chosen passphrase. At which point he/she has to enter a modified phrase again.

All in all its a welcome surprise, certainly makes sense to have cross-platform application. Makes it easier for people to talk about "the same app" to their Android/Apple friends.

Thanks,

Bernard

[1] http://db.tt/hUm7LOs0