[guardian-dev] Tor on Android over Open Garden

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Jun 17 22:04:40 EDT 2013

On 06/16/2013 10:34 PM, Paige Peterson wrote:
> I suspected the problem with Orbot not working with Open Garden was
> related to the Android OS bug with their Connectivity Manager.
>  See: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=33666
> Our lead developer checked out the source code and found it is that bug.
Great thanks for the continued research on this. Yes, we definitely tie
into Connectivity Manager in order to preserve battery life when it
seems there is no network present. Perhaps we can add an option to
ignore these events.

> They set the "DisableNetwork" parameter to true. I'm not sure why they
> would use an explicit flag like this. The bug was introduced
> here: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-commits/2012-October/046835.htm
> <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-commits/2012-October/046835.html>

As I said, we do everything we can to minimize impact on battery life
with Orbot. If Android tells us there is no network, it is usually
right. We have not optimized Orbot for adhoc mesh type situations where
the networking is happening outside of the traditional system.

> Such a bug would also prevent OrbotVPN from working when you guys
> develop that.  By the way, let us know when your finishing its
> development... since it won't work with Open Garden unless we work
> together to detect each other. :)
I am not sure that is the case actually. OrbotVPN will be built using
the standard mechanisms in Android for software VPNs.

Happy to continue the discussion to get this working.

+n