[guardian-dev] an idea for removing meta data from a server which establishes connections between two clients.

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Fri Jun 28 13:20:50 EDT 2013

On 28 June 2013 09:44, Abel Luck <abel at guardianproject.info> wrote:
> Tom Ritter:
>> We don't have a lot of ideas to defeat traffic analysis.  It's either
>> onion routing, mixing, short-lived broadcasts, or shared mailboxes.
>> (I'd love to know of more.)  If spacial component is an option, it may
>> be an effective way to limit the bandwidth of a shared mailbox.
>>

> Could you point to some links or docs about short-lived broadcasts and
> shared mailboxes? I'm interested to know what those are.

Short lived broadcasts: I was thinking in terms of messages that only
exist as long as they are transiting the network.  Broadcast IP
packets, Anycast.  Not aware of anything to point to there, but I know
people have wondered "What if we just kept the messages circling
around for hours?"  Another thing to point at would be
https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/sec09/tech/full_papers/sec09_crypto.pdf

Shared Mailboxes: The usenet group alt.anonymous.messages and
http://defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Ritter

-tom