[guardian-dev] idea for managing multiple virtual disks in IOCipher

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Fri Jun 28 15:12:30 EDT 2013

On Jun 28, 2013, at 2:25 PM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:

> On 06/28/2013 12:37 PM, Abel Luck wrote:
>> What about the case when project A is rendering in the background and
>> the user opens project B simultaneously to work on it?
>
> That is a complex problem. For now, we don't expect to be able to do
> ffmpeg rendering directly within IOCipher, and may need to do an export
> first to unencrypted storage, in the worst case scenario.
>
> Still though, I think the need for multiple simultaneous access to
> IOCipher stores within a single process is an important feature to work
> towards, just not critical for now.

I just had that idea, so I wanted to get it out there.  I agree its not a high priority.  For the scenario that Abel outlined, that would need to be handled by making two processes talk to each other, each with their own virtual disk for storage.

For using IOCipher with things like ffmpeg and other CLI processes, we'll have to figure out ways to do it all with streams.  Same with gpg, I think, since gpgme does not seem to have a streaming API, only operations on a complete chunk of data.