[guardian-dev] NYLUG talks for next year?? Orbot and/or Lil'Debian?

Hans of Guardian hans at guardianproject.info
Fri Mar 1 15:57:46 EST 2013

Title:
"The Guardian Project - a privacy, security and anonymity stack for Android"

While smartphones have been heralded as the coming of the next generation of communication and collaboration, they are a step backwards when it comes to personal security, anonymity and privacy. The Guardian Project aims to create easy to use apps, open-source software libraries and operating system modifications, and customized mobile devices that can be used and deployed around the world, by any person looking to protect their communications and personal data from unjust intrusion and monitoring.

This talk will give an overview of The Guardian Project, then go deep into the particular projects that the two speakers lead.  Lee will talk about the Open Secure Telephony Network and how you can run your own secure telephone system.  Hans will talk about Android development tools to make it easy to secure your apps: NetCipher for networking, SQLCipher for databases, and IOCipher for file storage.

About Hans-Christoph Steiner:
Hans-Christoph Steiner is a hacker, teacher, and researcher with the Guardian Project. He focuses on the intersection on humans and computers with the goal of creating natural interactions between the two. He has worked in a wide variety of fields, including free software development, media art, robotics, front line tech support, jet-powered amusement park rides, and formal and informal teaching from ages 10 up to graduate students and beyond.  Back in 2005, he set up a Tor node because it sounded like a cool project.  Little did he know that in 2010, Tor would resurface in his life to be central to how he spends his days and supports his family.

About Lee Azzarello:
Lee Azzarello applies technology in ways that liberate and encourage free expression. This adventure has led to work in fields such as grassroots media, independent publishing, file sharing, broadcast, telephony, big data and new media art. He has worked with the Free Software community since 2001. He has very good SEO.

.hc