[guardian-dev] K9Mail and PGP/Mime support

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Wed Mar 6 12:56:50 EST 2013

On 03/06/2013 07:23 PM, Abel Luck wrote:
> The TL;DR is supporting PGP/Mime is going to require significant
> development effort in K9, separate from Gnupg For Android porting.

Jesse and the team at K9 are really great, and we should definitely
figure out how to engage and support them more. I think he or some of
the other devs are on our list, and/or frequent #guardianproject on IRC.

However, it is a big complex project with a great deal of active users,
so I want to proceed with caution in terms of getting deeply involved in
another effort.

That said, we also want to investigate adding SQLCipher to K9, and
implementing a TorBirdy[0] style set of functionality through OnionKit.

All in all, within the scope of our current resources I don't think
re-engineering K9 to support PGP/MIME is within our current scope, so I
feel like we may have to just make do with what support there is now via
the AGP intent.

+n

[0] TorBirdy is Torbutton for Thunderbird, Icedove and related Mozilla
mail clients: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/torbirdy