[guardian-dev] developer sneak peak: CacheWord

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Tue Mar 26 13:47:57 EDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
<hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:
> SIGTERM in UNIX is meant for exactly this: it is sent to a process
> *requesting* it to terminate.  SIGKILL terminates the process and is not a
> request.

OK. I have no idea if SIGTERM is even used in Android, then. If it is,
at most you could get to it via the NDK.

> Can't the zeroization be done in the service's onDestroy() to guarantee that
> it is run?

No, because onDestroy() itself is not guaranteed to run. Android can
terminate the process at will without calling onDestroy(): swipe the
app off of the recent-tasks list, task killers, Force Stop in the
Settings app, extreme emergency need for RAM, etc. onDestroy() is
*usually* run.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 4.7 Available!