[guardian-dev] Certificate Authorities in CSipSimple

Lee Azzarello lee at guardianproject.info
Mon May 6 18:53:51 EDT 2013

I spent all day debugging why the SSL certificate validation
consistently failed in CSipSimple regardless of what kind of server
certificate I used.

The good news: I figured out how to get certificate validation to work
in CSipSimple.

The bad news: The process is a workaround and I don't expect any sane
person to do it themselves.

The "quick fix" if you're interested:

1) Download this file onto your Android device: https://ostel.co/ca_list.pem
2) Locate the FULL PATH to this file on your Android device; memorize
it or write it down.
3) In CSipSimple, open Settings->Network->Secure transport->TLS CA
file and type in the FULL PATH to the ca_list.pem file. Save.
3a) If you don't see this option, in Settings->Network press the
hardware menu button and select "Expert Mode". Go to step 3.
4) In the same Secure transport section, check the box labeled "Check server".
5) Register your ostel.co account again. It should turn green.
6) Make a call to lee at ostel.co and tell me a joke or a fun fact about
the universe

Here are my detailed notes: https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/1258

I need feedback because so far I have only tested this on a single device.

-lee