[guardian-dev] Messaging Moving Forward

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Fri May 17 19:07:06 EDT 2013

XMPP servers support self-registration, so really the only hard part there is
getting the sign-up UX right.  It can be made very easy.  Then the harder part
is getting people's contact info.  Google relies on you already having a
Google account then they use that account everywhere, no special magic there.
 Apps like RedPhone, Whatsapp, Line, etc. use your existing phone number,
assuming that people already have that info.  I think we could make a version
of that by using the existing phone number in the phone's contacts to automate
the process of getting the new account info to the people that need it.

Then talking about SIP, both XMPP and SIP use email-style addresses, so its
easy to use the same account for SIP and XMPP when they are run by the same
service (something we're working towards with ostel.co).

So I think we can create an integrated experience using only open standards.
I think that's the best goal.

.hc