[guardian-dev] Messaging Moving Forward

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Sat May 18 14:11:33 EDT 2013

I like the general idea of the actual contact address being something that
changes frequently, and is then communicated to contacts when there is a live
connection between them, something like "next time we talk, call me at
987239871ef1b123b".  There are two hard problems here:

1) how do you find new contacts?  If you give a new contact the address
908a80a8b10810fe0, then you need to keep that one active until that contact
makes the connection.  What if they never do, or it takes them a few months?
Then you have something that is basically the same as the standard long-lived
registration.

2) what about contacts that are not regularly talking to each other?  Or there
is a long gap in correspondance?  Its again the problem above, you need to
keep a long lived ID, otherwise you'll loose contact.

.hc