[guardian-dev] onion icon showing when orbot isnt actually running

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Nov 1 10:51:05 EDT 2013

On 10/09/2013 02:41 PM, Nathan of Guardian wrote:
> On 10/09/2013 02:36 PM, barbra wrote:
>> > It has been reproduced again.
> I've created a ticket here: https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/2046
>
> so we can move the discussion over and track it.

Just wanted to let you know we have a volunteer who has been looking
into this issue, and has a potential fix:
https://dev.guardianproject.info/issues/2046#change-5532

Most important to note is that even though Orbot is off, if your app is
properly using the SOCKS or HTTP proxy, it should not fail open (meaning
not use Tor), instead it will fail closed (not connect at all).

The risk with this issue then is annoyance, and not leakage.

Not sure when our next major release is, but likely we'll be doing a
collection of bug fixes on Orbot for a November update.

Best,
 Nathan