[guardian-dev] our site makes the user hit google on every page view

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Nov 5 18:36:50 EST 2013

Because of a wordpress plugin which inserts a stylesheet with a Google URL.
This makes each user ping a Google server on each page view.

<link rel='stylesheet' id='googlefonts-css'
href='https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto+Condensed:700|Roboto:400&subset=latin'
type='text/css' media='all' />

There is a comment a bit later that says:

<!-- fonts delivered by Wordpress Google Fonts, a plugin by Adrian3.com -->
<!-- We need this for debugging -->
<!-- Responsive 1.9.3.8 -->

The font in question seems to be Roboto, which has an Apache 2.0 license:
https://developer.android.com/design/style/typography.html

Any reason why we can't just include this font directly in our website, and
then remove that bit of Google tracking?