[guardian-dev] ChatSecure v13 Beta problems

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Nov 11 09:08:27 EST 2013

Matej Kovacic <matej.kovacic at owca.info> wrote:
>Unfortunately, nothing happens. User2 in a contact list seems to be
>offline and I cannot sent him a message.

This is definitely something that used to work. Obviously it is broken now. Will replicate this exact scenario and see what we can do, as it is obviously key for specific scenarios.

>BTW, I was experimenting a little with BlackBerry Messenger. I know it
>is terrible, speaking of security, but has some really nice features
>and
>is very intuitive. One of them is, that each message you sent has
>status
>"not delivered" (grey checkmark), "delivered" (blue D) and "read"
>(green R).

We have added per message delivery indicators based on the XEP Delivery Reciepts standard in the next v13 beta update. They have always been there but we only displayed when there was a non-delivery. Users do like to see a check next to each message it turns out. As for Read Receipts we do not support that yet.

>Of course, in opensource software someone could easily change his
>version to not show message was read... but in many "normal" situations
>(you chat securely mostly with people you trust to), that is very
>useful
>option.

Agreed.

 I know there has been a discussion about that a few time ago,
>just want to stress this seems one of very good features of BBM (also
>several users I have talked to stressed this).

I agree we need to win over BBM users by achieving same ease of use but in an open and secure manner.

+n