[guardian-dev] [liberationtech] Changing MAC addresses on mobile devices

Matej Kovacic matej.kovacic at owca.info
Tue Nov 12 16:30:51 EST 2013

Hi,

> (my tablet doesn't have an IMEI, for instance). IMEI numbers are
> officially being used as personal identifiers. MAC addresses are not.
>
> Changing a Wifi MAC usually has no billing implications. You would want
> to change your Wifi MAC address, not to prevent cost, but to gain
> (better) privacy.
Not really true. In Ljubljana, Slovenia, we have city-wide wifi network,
called Wi-Free. It is free for a two hours per day, for more you have to
pay.

So if you change your MAC address in less than two hours, you can have
free access for the whole day. :-))

I have seen some other networks doing "authentication" on a MAC address...

Regards,

Matej