[guardian-dev] Successful US Apps In China

Derek of Guardian derek at guardianproject.info
Wed Nov 20 18:31:28 EST 2013

Hey all,

Someone recently posed this question to me and I didn’t have a good answer: are you aware of any US-based mobile companies who have achieved significant Android downloads / penetration in China?

Off the top of my head, I realized that most of the popular apps in China are actually either organic Chinese apps or Chinese knock-offs / copies of popular US services (QQ, Weibo, etc.). But I also realized that I don’t know nearly enough about the broader market there to speak at all intelligently about an answer.

Anyone have good examples that they know of?

-Derek