[guardian-dev] Blog post: VoIP Security Architecture

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Sun Nov 24 09:45:43 EST 2013

Hi Lee,

Sorry, my thought process in that last email was really garbled! As
you guessed I was thinking of a direct connection, where someone
monitoring either endpoint would be able to see the IP address of the
other endpoint. I take your point that proxying would conceal the
other endpoint's IP address.

I still have some concerns about metadata though. First, do all SIP
servers proxy all calls? I thought some servers tried to set up direct
connections between the endpoints to save bandwidth. Maybe what I'm
asking is, are you writing about SIP in general or just Ostel?

Second, if the endpoints are using the same server, someone monitoring
the server can use the start and end times of calls to tell which
users are communicating.

Third, regardless of whether the endpoints are using the same server,
someone monitoring both endpoints can use the start and end times of
calls to tell whether they're communicating.

These seem like realistic threats that reveal metadata. I'm not saying
that VoIP is insecure, or that people shouldn't use it, or that I have
a better idea - but I think you should avoid strong statements like
"nor can metadata of sessions in progress be spied on".

Cheers,
Michael