[guardian-dev] Deutschne Telecom secure phones

Matej Kovacic matej.kovacic at owca.info
Wed Nov 27 10:25:46 EST 2013

Hi,

have you seen this:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/26/eutsche-telekom-mobile-phones-germany-secure

I am not familiar with Samsung Knox, but isn't it some kind of user
profile separation with included SE Linux protection?

As far as I know, Android has support for multiple profiles from 4.2 and
from 4.3 and 4.4 it also has SE Linux sandboxing. How is Samsung Knox
different?

Another thing that came in my mind is, what if someone uses CyanogenMod.
It seems that now when CyanogenMod Installer is available, rooting and
it was in the past. How secure is CyanogenMod comparing to Knox?

Interesting is a part, when they explain how they will recreate
encryption keys for their SimKo devices every 24 hours... it is called
PFS, of course, and it is already supported by RedPhone, TextSecure,
OpenVPN and OTR messaging.

So basically... if I install CyanogenMod with their privacy features,
install TextSecure, ChatSecure, RedPhone, Orbot and OpenVPN client -
would that device be comparable to Sansung Knox / SimKo?

The problem of course is not only, that SimKo devices are very expensive
(1700 EUR), but also, that it is likely to be close sourced, and German
Telecom maybe has some ties with BND.

P. S. It would be possible to use OpenGPG card with Android phones?

Regards,

M.