[guardian-dev] mailiverse update

Tim Prepscius timprepscius at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 13:14:16 EDT 2013

So,

Finally, I think the first version of mailiverse which is super-easy
to build/deploy is up.

It can be found here:
https://github.com/timprepscius/mailiverse.git

Probably the easiest and cleanest way to test is:

1.  Get VirtualBox.

2.  Setup two Ubuntu 12.04 machines, so that you can ssh from one to another.
(put it on bridged network mode, login and type "ifconfig" to find out
the IPs of the machines)

I would suggest making snapshots of the clean installs, so that you
can revert easily to the beginning.

3. Get the git project and read the README.md

The whole setup should take 15 mins, with user interaction primarily
in the first couple minutes.

If anyone would like to test that it installs, that would be great.
If you try to install it and have problems, please let me know what they are.

--

Things which don't work or need to change:

1.  postfix is setup incorrectly, I need to do a bit more work to
enable password checking for sending mail.  Obviously not ready for
prime-time.  It's an open relay at the moment.

2.  PGP is still being worked in.  Have been spending most of my
available mailiverse time on making the installation easy.
Although the storage mechanism, I think, is in place.

--

Some things I have changed to make the install easy, but probably not good:

1.  I've created a key-value store based on how AWS works.  I
basically cloned what I needed from S3.  This is so that you don't
need to use AWS to test out the server.  But that also means *all*
bandwidth runs through your box.

You could potentially move this key server to some cloud somewhere
though, or use S3.

2.  I machine generate ssh key pairs.  I also machine generate passwords.
In a real situation you probably want to do that stuff yourself.

3.  I've made the captcha disable itself if you don't have a recaptcha key.
This means you can be easily bot-ed.  Although captcha might be broken
anyways.  Lol.  OpenCV is pretty nifty that way.

Anyhow, I think this is the first cut that people can play with if they want.

-tim