[guardian-dev] OTRDATA draft specifications

Miron miron at hyper.to
Wed Oct 16 18:25:25 EDT 2013

Quick note - when I refer to "plugins" below, I just mean apps that use
ChatSecure as a transport mechanism.  The communication between the
plugin apps and ChatSecure is currently through Service intents.

On 10/16/2013 12:52 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I agree with Kevin's points.  I'll add some more comments.  I'm having a hard
> time visualizing the whole interaction over OTRDATA without any mention of
> authentication.  This particular API does not have any auth built into it.  It

I was envisioning that this would use OTR authentication underneath
(exposing it to the plugin).  I was also envisioning a ToFU approach to
top-level authorization: "a at a.com wants to share with the Location
plugin, allow once, always or deny?".

> seems that for OTRDATA to be widely useful, it will need to have relatively
> fine-grained permissions.  For example, if I want to share my location with a
> list of my buddies, then there will need to be a mechanism somewhere to
> enforce that.  It will then be tricky to make that manageable without having
> some crazy Access Control List UI.

For finer grained authorization (e.g. which friend can see which pics),
I would defer to the plugins themselves to implement the specific logic
and UI.

> What about using a push model for OTRDATA?  This would work well for file
> transfer and sharing bits of data like location.  Then permissions become more
> like a list of recipients.  I don't really have this idea fleshed out, but its
> just a hunch that it might be easier from this point of view.

Either side can initiate a message, so a push model should be possible.
I am interested in hearing more.