[guardian-dev] [liberationtech] Randomize MAC of Android phone?

Timur Mehrvarz timur.mehrvarz at riseup.net
Thu Oct 24 08:23:52 EDT 2013

On 24.10.2013 13:57, Alvin Schurman wrote:
> You might try this:
>
> https://github.com/poliva/random-scripts/blob/master/android/change-mac-nexus4.sh
>
> It changes the mac by manipulating /data/misc/wifi/ info.
>
> Let me know if it works.  I altered and cross compiled macchanger for a
> rooted phone and that didn't work for me either.

This N4 hack seems to be the one working exception. However,
"WCNSS_qcom_cfg" is highly device specific. So this hack will not work
with other devices. And will it still work under 4.4?

The Android Wifi kernel drivers seem to not implement the functionality
behind 'ifconfig wlan0 hw ether' (what is behind the ioctl call being
used by ifconfig). So, it looks like 'root' alone does not give you the
ability to modify the MAC in any generic way. You will need to patch
your kernel - and all the other kernels as well.