[guardian-dev] Can i configure privoxy in orbot?

farinet farinet at arcor.de
Sat Oct 26 03:24:19 EDT 2013

I tried to make privoxy (which is bundled with tor in orbot) not only a
simple proxy (127.0.0.1:8118) but a filtering proxy. To do that, i
copied the config and filter files i use on my main computer on to the
android device and i changed the - default - privoxy config file in
/data/data/org.torproject.android/app_bin accordingly. Now, when i start
orbot, i'm getting, during the startup procedure, the msg that privoxy
was not found and as a consequence orbot is not working.

Guessing in the dark, i think, that might be a timeout problem in the
startup sequence, since it takes privoxy some time to read the filter
and action files, that tor does not see privoxy because privoxy itself
is still occupied to read the action and filter files. Is that correct
thinking? And will there be, eventually, any i could do to give privoxy
a little bit more time (similarily to the sleep command which could be
used in batch files between the startup sequence of different programs)?

Thanks in advance for any tip!

PS. When i outcomment by "#" the filtering related lines in the config
file all turns to work regularily.