[guardian-dev] pgp, nsa, rsa

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Sep 9 11:01:53 EDT 2013

On 09/09/2013 10:21 AM, Nick Parker wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 9/6/13 11:42 PM, Chris Kuethe wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Tim Prepscius <timprepscius at gmail.com
>> <mailto:timprepscius at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I don't think there are guarantees that the code you think is running
>>     is in fact running.
>>     So even if you could look at the jars&binaries of your phone, the OS
>>     could substitute at runtime from an unseen source.
>>

>> Some of us do this sort of thing already, using xposed and xprivacy to
>> intercept/modify PII traveling across API boundaries.
>>

>>     <takes off tin foil hat and goes to bed>
>>

>> LD_PRELOAD shims (and their ilk) are hardly tin foil hat material
>
> Have you be able to successfully use LD_PRELOAD on Android?  I've tried
> unsuccessfully in the past and according to the NDK documentation they
> list the following:
>
> - No support for LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LD_PRELOAD, RTLD_LOCAL and many
>   other options.

I don't know anything about the other two, but LD_LIBRARY_PATH is actually
required on Android, and is indeed the only way that Android apps can find
their shared libraries.  Try unsetting it in the terminal, then running
things.  Java does not allow you to set environment variables, so that might
be what they are talking about.

.hc