[guardian-dev] Anonymous Web Hosting

Abel Luck abel at guardianproject.info
Mon Sep 23 13:05:12 EDT 2013

This is an interesting hypothetical question. Here's my hypothetical
thoughts on the subject.

**Billing Anonymity**

I don't recommend using Bitcoin, unless you know the hoops to jump
through to make it anonymous.

Instead, do as Lee suggested. Put on your fake nose and mustache, drive
somewhere outside your normal sphere, and buy a prepaid gift card with
hard cash, then use any reputable domain registrar and hosting company.

**Network Anonymity**

Unfortunately, most fraud detection systems employed by nearly all
registrars and hosting companies will not let you purchase services when
using Tor. I suggest routing a VPN over Tor (for example riseup.net's
VPN) when making the purchase. If you're feeling cocky, use a public
hotspot or go war driving.

**Contact Anonymity**

Depending on your registrar and TLD of choice, you might be required by
law to submit factual whois data. Of course, no one checks this unless
you expect on getting in trouble. A quick visit to [1] will sort you out
(don't forget to use Tor).

You need to use an anonymous email account. I suggest Tor+Yahoo mail.

If you chose an ornery registrar, you might be required to verify your
phone number. This can be a bitch if you're in the USA and don't have
easy access to disposable SIM cards. Get your friend from another
country to fetch you a 5$ SIM card and do the verification for you.

**SysAdmin Anonymity**

Only connect to the hosting and domain control panel's over Tor. Also,
only SSH into the servers via Tor. Yes this is the slowest and least
productive way to administrate a server. You will cry. I suggest using
the opportunity to learn to type one handed.

I highly recommend creating a local VM, then write a script or Chef
recipe to configure the server how you want, then execute that on your
anon box over SSH+TOR.

**Maintaining Anonymity**

When renewing take all above precautions. Don't draw attention or get
into trouble lest someone realize your WHOIS info is faked.

----

If all of this is too complicated or time-consuming, I suggest hiring a
patsy or frontman to be your public figure and take the eventual fall.

Hypothetically Yours,

Abel

[1]: http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

Mark Belinsky: