[guardian-dev] Is there security risks on developing OTR addons for web browsers ?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 17:32:48 EDT 2013

The general idea is that it's too easy to break crypto on the web.

Attackers can often too easily inject malicious javascript, often
disabling any encryption or leaking the private keys, and in
practically all cases leak the plaintext (the sent messages). Like
with the case of fake SSL certs being used against Gmail users, this
is something to take seriously since these attacks can be 100%
transparent to the user, there's often nothing at all that would seem
suspicious to the user.

If you want to do crypto in a browser addon, then don't bother trying
to interact with web pages if you want to make sure it's secure even
against powerful attackers, do it in a separate window or sidebar
where an attacker can't easily mess with your system.