[guardian-dev] can private services actually remain private "in the cloud"?

Lee Azzarello lee at guardianproject.info
Fri Sep 27 17:06:17 EDT 2013

I assume host OS monitoring is what every cloud infrastructure provider
does. Access to the host OS (dom0 in Xen jargon) is the virtual equivalent
of a local terminal in a rack.

Most networking for VMs running a Linux kernel is implemented with bridging
and NAT. There is a way to bind a VM guest directly to a physical NIC but
this is rare. This means packet inspection per guest (DomU in Xen jargon)
can be done with tcpdump on the host.

This is an excellent case to encrypt everything. Though a host compromise
may grant access to a root shell on each guest.

-lee