[guardian-dev] Blackphone

Lee Azzarello lee at guardianproject.info
Tue Apr 15 13:56:27 EDT 2014

On 4/13/14, 12:57 PM, g at pmx.mooo.com wrote:

> I've been reading the discussion regarding: I don't believe there
> is much use in discussing the design of existing synchronous
> realtime voice/video systems from a "the server revealsmetadata"
> security angle since there is only a single answer.
>

> This may be sort of a simplistic question, but:
>
> Why do you need a server for voip? Or are you labeling
> "switch/router" as a server?

IPv4 networking, user location discovery, addressing, latency deadline
requirements for synchronous realtime IP communication are done on the
server side.

SIP is an application level protocol that uses the model of a
"switch/router" for application communication, so yes you can think of
the problem in this way, though not on layer 2.

> I'll give a zero server alternative which is probably filled with
> problems:

You got it. How do you do addressing in your scenario without a
centralized location for addressing information? How do you solve the
signaling latency problem to establish a realtime socket? After that,
how do you ensure the realtime socket continues to operate for the
duration of the call?

- -lee