[guardian-dev] I2P Android client library (was Manage Orbot from external app: Tor admin?)

str4d str4d at i2pmail.org
Fri Aug 15 20:00:19 EDT 2014

On 08/15/2014 01:43 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Cedric Jeanneret wrote:
>> Just for information: I've a similar request regarding i2p
>> support in Tor, and there's currently a client library being
>> developed. It should provide the same kind of stuff I'm asking
>> from Orbot. That will make orwall a pretty nice app, supporting
>> what I consider the two "main onion router systems" :).
>>
>> By the way: I'm not a power-android-dev, but if I can help, just
>> let me know. I can learn and, who knows, have some ideas ;).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> C.
>

> It would be great to support as many tools like this as possible,
> including of course i2p.
>
> .hc

This seems like an excellent time to announce that I have pushed the
first release of the I2P Android client library to Maven Central
(net.i2p.android:client:0.1). For now, it simply bundles our standard
Java APIs along with some Android-specific code for talking to the I2P
Android app over our standard client API (I2CP), and some AIDL
interfaces for obtaining the status of the I2P Android router. This
allows app devs to create I2P sockets using our streaming and datagram
APIs, and have full control over their tunnels.

For some applications (like orWall), simply having the ability to
create tunnels in I2PTunnel (which provides some standard types, like
a SOCKS client proxy) would be sufficient. So the next stage of
development would be to create an Intent interface for I2PTunnel, like
is being discussed for Orbot.

Since this mailing list is full of people designing privacy-aware
Android apps: what would you like to see in this client library? What
use cases do you envisage? Should I separate the AIDL interface into a
separate library, so you can query the router status without needing
to have the entire client-side API (if you only wanted to use the
Intents API)? Where should I put the pony?

str4d