[guardian-dev] I2P Android client library (was Manage Orbot from external app: Tor admin?)

Cédric Jeanneret guardian at ethack.org
Fri Aug 22 02:00:13 EDT 2014

On 08/16/2014 02:00 AM, str4d wrote:
> On 08/15/2014 01:43 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Cedric Jeanneret wrote:
>>> Just for information: I've a similar request regarding i2p
>>> support in Tor, and there's currently a client library being
>>> developed. It should provide the same kind of stuff I'm asking
>>> from Orbot. That will make orwall a pretty nice app, supporting
>>> what I consider the two "main onion router systems" :).
>>>
>>> By the way: I'm not a power-android-dev, but if I can help, just
>>> let me know. I can learn and, who knows, have some ideas ;).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> C.
>

>> It would be great to support as many tools like this as possible,
>> including of course i2p.
>
>> .hc
>
> This seems like an excellent time to announce that I have pushed the
> first release of the I2P Android client library to Maven Central
> (net.i2p.android:client:0.1). For now, it simply bundles our standard
> Java APIs along with some Android-specific code for talking to the I2P
> Android app over our standard client API (I2CP), and some AIDL
> interfaces for obtaining the status of the I2P Android router. This
> allows app devs to create I2P sockets using our streaming and datagram
> APIs, and have full control over their tunnels.

Great, I'll give it a try in the next few days/weeks, I first have to
update the UI in order to provide a better way to configure app
redirections.

> For some applications (like orWall), simply having the ability to
> create tunnels in I2PTunnel (which provides some standard types, like
> a SOCKS client proxy) would be sufficient. So the next stage of
> development would be to create an Intent interface for I2PTunnel, like
> is being discussed for Orbot.

My thought: create, close and list existing tunnels.

> Since this mailing list is full of people designing privacy-aware
> Android apps: what would you like to see in this client library? What
> use cases do you envisage? Should I separate the AIDL interface into a
> separate library, so you can query the router status without needing
> to have the entire client-side API (if you only wanted to use the
> Intents API)? Where should I put the pony?

I think a dedicated library would be better and easier to integrate in
apps, like netcipher for example.
Would be great to provide an Intent which will:

- validate requests (why not require an app to register first in order
to let a deep control)

- maybe ask for confirmation (may be useless for registered apps like
described in previous point)

- why not works with ACLs in order to allow some types of actions and
refuse some others depending on the user trust level in the client
application

I think you should have a look at netcipher, particularly to the orbot
helpers — though there isn't a lot of actions now, it just checks if
orbot is installed (if not, it proposes to install it) and if it's
running (if not, it proposes to start it).

Cheers,

C.