[guardian-dev] It's time to migrate to Android Studio

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Dec 11 05:09:15 EST 2014

Ok, I decided to give it a whirl.  Downloading and unzipping it is easy
enough, and it started up.  I like that it gave me the option of using my
existing android-sdk setup.

Next, actually getting a project setup.  I started with Checkey, since its
very simple, and the only library dependency it has is appcompat_v7, something
Google should know a lot about ;)

Total fail.  It walks me through the wizard, then when it tries to import it,
it gives me a fatal error about a totally unrelated project:

 *
/home/hans/code/guardianproject/platform-external-sqlcipher/AndroidManifest.xml:
Invalid XML file:
/home/hans/code/guardianproject/platform-external-sqlcipher/AndroidManifest.xml:
Premature end of file.

Same error goes for all of the other app projects that I tried (Orbot, Lil'
Debi, etc).  And this pointless error from an unrelated project stops the
import process cold.  I deleted 'platform-external-sqlcipher', luckily I don't
need it, but then I get another:

 * /home/hans/code/guardianproject/openssl-android-whacked/AndroidManifest.xml:
Invalid XML file:
/home/hans/code/guardianproject/openssl-android-whacked/AndroidManifest.xml:
Premature end of file.

Delete that, and it finally runs the import process.  Then when Android Studio
finally start, it tells me first thing, before my project even loads, "There
has been a fatal error in the IDE", then shows me a crash submission form
saying "Attempt to mutate in notification: Attempt to mutate in notification".
 And of course in the process it pegs both my CPUs to 100%.

Bugs bugs bugs...

But once it all settles down, it doesn't seem to use lots of CPU while idling,
unlike Eclipse.  That's one positive....

.hc

Hans-Christoph Steiner:

https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x9F0FE587374BBE81