[guardian-dev] Introducing Conceal: Efficient storage encryption for Android

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Wed Feb 5 16:11:05 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Mark Murphy <mmurphy at commonsware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 11:48, Josh Steiner wrote:
>> Yeah, they clearly care most about the threat model of spyware apps
>> installed via mainstream app stores snooping on other apps data on SD.
>>  A valid use case for a lot of apps.
>
> Few apps should be storing data on removable media, if for no other
> reason than there's no official support for it. Hence, I question your
> last sentence. *Some* apps, from organizations with the resources to
> deal with all the per-device idiosyncrasies of trying to work with
> unofficial storage locations, may have this use case. Most hopefully
> stick with ordinary internal storage for stuff they want to keep away
> from other apps.

I see so much cruft on my SD card from random apps that I fear it's a
pretty common use case.

>> Do you happen to have an exhaustive writeup of all the foibles of
>> storage on Android by chance?  It's something that still hurts my
>> brain whenever I have to deal with it.  What a mess.
>
> There's no question that Google has made some fairly odd decisions in
> this space.
>
> I don't really have such a writeup, but I really could use one, as I
> find myself repeating the same things on StackOverflow over and over.
> I'll try to put together a blog post on it. Stay tuned to
> http://commonsware.com/blog. :-)

Drop me a dm on twitter (@vitriolix) if you want to chat as you work
on that... I might have some insights for you as I slog through fixing
our storage related bugs in StoryMaker

>> Well, there is a case where an app like StoryMaker wants to encrypt
>> huge files like the raw .mp4's that comprise the pre edited footage of
>> a story being produced.  We definitely want to store this on the real
>> SD card in a lot of cases.
>
> So long as you are walking into this eyes wide open, noticing the "here
> there be dragons" notation on the map around the "real SD card" area,
> more power to you. :-)

My eyes after slogging through sd/storage issues on StoryMaker:

http://www.firestormfitcamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/clockwork-orange.jpg

-Josh