[guardian-dev] NetCipher and HttpURLConnection

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Mon Feb 10 21:38:06 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Nathan of Guardian
<nathan at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> On February 10, 2014 8:25:14 PM EST, Josh Steiner <josh at vitriolix.com> wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I had a few questions about NetCipher.  We wanted to get the official
>>Facebook SDK working with TOR and it uses the stock HttpURLConnection
>>stack, not Apache.
>>
>>First off, is there a reason we support only Apache's http libs?
>>Other than "engineering time" of course.
>
> HttpURLConnection does not support SOCKS proxying AFAIK.

I think it does, but I havn't tried it:

http://developer.android.com/reference/java/net/HttpURLConnection.html

"By default, this class will connect directly to the origin server. It
can also connect via an HTTP or SOCKS proxy. To use a proxy,
useURL.openConnection(Proxy) when creating the connection."

Need to decide if it's smarter to port the Facebook SDK lib to Apache
or add a HttpURLConnection support to NetCipher.  Obviously the latter
would be more flexible, but I'm not sure how much work that will be.

-j