[guardian-dev] NetCipher and HttpURLConnection

Mark Murphy mmurphy at commonsware.com
Tue Feb 11 14:59:03 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014, at 11:54, Josh Steiner wrote:
> Interesting, I'll see what I can dig up on that. If HttpURLConnecction*
> is
> better in this regard, would you prefer to drop Apache support or to keep
> both as an option? It is nice to have both if you are integrating with
> 3rd
> party libs where you can't control what they decided to use, but if its a
> gaping security hole we might not want to endorse it.

FWIW, AFAIK, the implementation of HttpUrlConnection changed in Android
4.4 to be more or less a clone of Square's OkHTTP:

http://square.github.io/okhttp/

That was mostly for SPDY support, as I understand it.

I mention it, as the behavior of HttpUrlConection may have changed in
Android 4.4 with respect to things like SOCKS. Also, if you determine
that OkHTTP/4.4's HttpUrlConnection is significantly better, developers
can use OkHTTP on older Android devices to have an
HttpUrlConnection-compatible API.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_: Version 5.5... And
Still Going Strong!