[guardian-dev] detecting mobile phone location

Matej Kovacic matej.kovacic at owca.info
Thu Feb 13 16:40:37 EST 2014

Hi,

> Are you sure that's the case?  I know that mobile phones are quite common in
> other parts of East Africa, like Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda,
No, I am just guessing. I mean, if there is no mobile network, local
people probably do not have mobile phones. I am not sure how is a
situation in Darfur, but it is likely that in mountain villages there is
no network.

Anyway, I have found another explanation for bombing.

Old Russian radar systems used frequencies around 800 MHz and 2.4 GHz.
It could be possible that Somalian army thinks someone is using portable
radar with rocket launcher and they just bomb the location pre-emptive.

I know some stories from 1999 when NATO forces bombed Serbia. Some
people went to some hill and switch on the microwave oven. They
connected it to a accumulator, opened the microwave door and disabled
the door protection, so microwave was emitting signal to the sky.

It didn't took a long of time, when NATO airplanes came and bombed the
location. The idea was of course to use old cheap microwaves to fool the
NATO to drop expensive bombs and confuse them that they would not be
able to distinguish microwave oven "signals" from the real radars...

Regards,

M.