[guardian-dev] looking for comments on secure email v2

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Mon Feb 24 12:59:15 EST 2014

There are "apps" for both Firefox and Chrome.  That's probably the best
approach here.  That's how Cryptocat is distributed for example.

As for storage, I guess you're doing the whole thing in Javascript, so that
limits your options a lot. If a native backend is a possibility, I think you
should use sqlcipher as your backend storage.

.hc

On 02/23/2014 06:06 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
> I will not run a service.  Everyone runs their own.
>
> As for "if the user's service has been hacked, will it compromise
> their key when they log in?"
> Yes it would.
>
> Client logs in, gets his encrypted secret key.  Decrypts.  Malicious
> javascript sees unencrypted secret key and sends to outside world.
>

> Is there such a thing as a secure plugin for a browser?  Maybe that is
> the way to go?
>
> What happens if your browser has been compromised?  For instance let's
> say there is some script which takes screen shots, forwards them when
> the browser is in the background.
>
> -tim
>

> On 2/23/14, Dev Random <c1.devrandom at niftybox.net> wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Glad to see people working on secure email.  I have a quesetion:
>>
>> If your service is hacked and malicious javascript is injected, won't
>> the private key for each user be compromised as they log in?  If so, how
>> do you plan to mitigate this risk?  Browser plug-in?
>>
>> On Sun, 2014-02-23 at 14:33 -0500, Tim Prepscius wrote:
>>> So I'm writing a new version of mailiverse...  I'm looking for some
>>> comments on specific design decisions.
>>>
>>> The fundamental reason is because the old one is too complicated, it
>>> was mostly built before I knew exactly what I was doing.  And in
>>> retrospect, I think it was built the wrong way.  GWT is nice because I
>>> can see things compile..  But GWT is not nice because it requires
>>> other people to have GWT.
>>>
>>> The goals for the new mailiverse are:
>>> 1.  still, everything client side.
>>> 2.  easy to modify, and easy to run without encryption. (for dev)
>>> 3.  encryption is encapsulated into a single layer, replacement of
>>> ajax hook, basically
>>> 4.  no gwt, just javascript, no build.
>>> 5.  pgp