[guardian-dev] Blackphone "in stock"

ShootAKite at riseup.net ShootAKite at riseup.net
Mon Feb 24 13:05:14 EST 2014

Most new handset hardware is launched today because Mobile World
Congress is going on.

I think Blackphone is taking so long to deliver the product because they
need carriers.  I'm sure carriers are scared to take on something like
Blackphone in the united states due to all the regulatory uncertanity
surrounding CALEA[1].  In 2004 a proposal[2] was posted on the federal
registrar which would have forced all 'new and emerging technologies'
like Blackphone to comply with CALEA.  It didn't pass in 2004 but who
knows what would happen if this law was proposed today to the community
organizers running the US government on 'hope and change'

[1] https://www.eff.org/pages/calea-faq and https://www.eff.org/issues/calea
[2] https://www.eff.org/issues/calea