[guardian-dev] Improving the UI/UX of ChatSecure

Liron Tocker lirontocker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 14:13:14 EST 2014

Hi there,

My name is Liron, a designer living in Hamburg, Germany.

First of all, I’d like to thank all of you for working on The Guardian Project and for the great stuff you’ve been doing.

I’ll get straight to the point: I’d like to help out with the UI/UX of ChatSecure. I think the overall User Experience of ChatSecure can be improved, which would do a lot to introduce new users to the application and make it comfortable and easy to use. This would include a modernisation of the interface for both Android and iPhone, improved user interaction and user flow, and an attractive App icon.

I can provide concept work, wireframes and static layouts. Ideally someone out there on this list would be able work closely with me and turn these into a functioning App. This is a bit of an ambitious project and would probably take some time, but I’m willing to put the time in - making technology approachable is one of the reasons I became an interface designer and I think presenting people with simple to use encryption software has the potential to make a real difference in the way people use the internet.

A little bit about me:

I have 13 years of experience in creating web interfaces but have limited experience with mobile - this would be my second App (the first being the mobile app for the now defunct Qype). I’m currently working for a digital branch of a large magazine publisher here in Hamburg. I did a bit of UI stuff for various Linux distributions and open source software projects back in the earlier years of the previous decade (icon sets and wallpapers, mainly).  You can see some of my designs here: http://www.behance.net/lirontocker and you can find me on Twitter at @lirontocker

I’ll cut the rambling - thanks for reading this far. Please let me know if you guys think that this kind of work would be useful for you, and if it is - we can figure out how to get the ball rolling.

Greetings from Hamburg!

Liron