[guardian-dev] Improving the UI/UX of ChatSecure

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Jan 6 14:39:24 EST 2014

On 01/06/2014 02:13 PM, Liron Tocker wrote:
> I’ll cut the rambling - thanks for reading this far. Please let me know
> if you guys think that this kind of work would be useful for you, and if
> it is - we can figure out how to get the ball rolling.

Yes, absolutely, and it seems you would be a great fit to get that ball
going! We currently have three developers working on ChatSecure Android
and two working on iOS. Most of us are on this list.

Here are a few question / areas to begin with:

1) Should we follow Telegram.org path and essentially just clone the
WhatsApp / Line / WeChat user experience? How closely should the Android
and iOS experience match? Again do existing popular messaging apps
provide a guide here?

2) We have been working recently on indicating encryption/security state
using more subtle color bar indicators, but how can we make the
security/privacy aspects of using the app more existing and compelling
(both visually and experientially)? Verification of OTR session is
critical, but most people don't do it still... how do we change that?

3) While I personally love our swipe-based interface for moving between
open chats, I know some do not. I feel it provides a rapid mechanism for
moving between multiple active conversations, and provides a bit of
unique flair, beyond the typical contact list / conversation type flow.

4) How do we simplify the setup process so that people can get connected
to their existing identities/accounts (google, facebook, jabber.ccc.de)
or create an entirely new one in a streamlined friendly manner?

Thanks and excited to have your help.

+n